News from Ballyhass N.S.
What a busy October we have had! Click on the picture above to see some pictures.
It is great to be back in school. Click on the photo above to see a slideshow of some of the things we have been doing.
June is always a busy month in school. We really enjoed our sport's day and school tours. Click the photo above to see a slideshow.
What an exciting time we have has this month. We attended blitzes, a swimming gala and had great fun at the May Fayre. Click the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had lots going on in Ballyhass NS over the last two months. Click on the photo above to see some pictures and don't forget to have a look at all of our news from the classrooms.
The children from 1st to 6th class had a wonderful time at Cinderella in the Edel Quinn Hall. We would like to thank the staff and students of Coláiste Treasa for inviting us to the show. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
February has been so busy in Ballyhass NS. We really enjoyed making smoothies and pancakes! We also had a visit from the author of Benjy and the Dragon. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
Although it was great to have a break at Christmas we are all delighted to be back in school this January. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
December was an exciting month in Ballyhass National School. We had a wonderful Christmas concert Straw and Order. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had a very busy year working towards our green flag. Click the photo above for more information.
November has been a great month in Ballyhass NS. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had a very busy October. Click the photo above to see some pictures.
We are delighted that our new classroom is ready. Our senior infants are really enjoying having such a wonderful room. Click here to see some photos from September.
We had a fantastic trad session with Liam O' Connor and Jackie. It was an honour to play with them. Click the photo for some pics. Click here to see some videos from the day
Our sports for all day was a great success. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
We have had a very busy few months. Click the photo to see a slideshow of what we have been up to.
Ballyhass NS Proclamation Day Ballyhass National School celebrated proclamation day on Tuesday 15th March. It was a momentous occasion for all children and adults present. The proceedings began at 11 o’ clock. The celebration involved singing, dancing, drama, art and poetry. The infant classes made Irish flags to wave for the raising of the tricolour. First and second class created a 3-D display titled ‘Dublin in the Rare Old Times’. Second and third class played an instrumental ‘The Foggy Dew’ and created portraits of the 7 signatories of the proclamation while 9 children presented an account as the signatories, Grace Gifford and Countess Markievicz. Fourth and fifth class brought to life ‘The Wayfarer’ poem by Pádraig Pearse through the medium of art and played the instrumental piece ‘Ceol Mícheala’ along with their counterparts in fifth and sixth class. Fifth and sixth class composed new proclamations for 2016. These were combined to create a new proclamation for the school with the help of the staff. Some of the children from the senior classes were involved in dancing ‘The Siege of Ennis’, a reel, solo singing, readings, recitation of ‘Mother’ by Pádraig Pearse and reading the new proclamation. Geoffrey O’ Donoghue and Donal O’ Sullivan read a poem by past pupil Colm O‘ Brien titled ‘Hibernia’. At 12 o’ clock Fr. Dorgan raised the tricolour to the beautiful singing of Amhrán na bhFiann. All of the music was kindly accompanied by Eoin O’ Sullivan on guitar. Everybody enjoyed refreshments and beautiful baking supplied by the parents after the celebration. Thanks to Janusz Trzesicki Photography for supplying many of the photographs in the slideshow. Click the photograph above to see the slideshow.
February has been such a busy month in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
As you can see from our News From the Classroom January has been such an exciting month in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
We had a very busy December in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow of some of these activities.
A great night was had by all of the community on the 20th of November to celebrate the retirement of Mrs O' Connor as principal of our school. Mrs O' Conor worked in the school for 40 years and was principal for the last 18 years. Many thanks to all who particpated on the night and to those who provided wonderful baking. Cogratulations to Mrs O' Connor. We hope you have a long and happy retirement. Click on the photo above to view more photographs
Second and third had great fun this month. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Seniors Infants enjoying art. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Junior Infants enjoying science week. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
First and second class enjoyed making rainbows. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
It was a great honour to have two members of the defense forces, Sergeant Denis McGarry and Gunner Paul Moynihan visiting us and presenting our youngest and oldest pupil with an Irish flag to celebrate the 1916 centenary. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
The children of 6th class had the great thrill of participating in the TG4 programme Cula 4 which was filmed at Ballyhass Lakes on a glorious Autumn day.
The scary Senior infants! Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Some Photographs of the Junior infants at Halloween. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Some Photographs of 1st and 2nd class enjoying Halloween. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
1st and 2nd Class have worked hard on making food pyramids. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Welcome to our new Junior Infants. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs.
The children had great fun planting in our raised beds this week. We are looking forward to seeing a wonderful splash of colour around the school. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs.
More honours for Castlemagner. Congratulations to the girls on winning the county final. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
We had a visit from the Duhallow Champions on Monday 14th of September. Great excitement all round. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
Congratulations to the children who had best attendance last year.
Congratulations to Mrs O’ Connor. Wishing her a long, happy retirement. The whole school had a wonderful celebration and Mrs O’ Connor was presented with lovely gifts and personal poems from the children. The school went from strength to strength under her care. She will be greatly missed and we hope to have more celebrations with her in the community shortly. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
Peter O’ Keeffe will be visiting the school doing golf skills with all of the children for the next six weeks. Click here to see more photos!
Children from Juniors to second class being trained in the skills of football and hurling by the local GAA. Click here to see more photos!
The First Holy Communion took place on Saturday 25th April. Twenty three Children received the Sacrament and a wonderful day was had by all. A big thank you to all the parents who helped out and to the children from 3rd to 6th who did a great job as the choir. Click here for a larger version of the photo above.
The children from 1st to 6th class play a range of instruments, many of which can be rented from the school.
Pyjamas Day in aid of Autism Awareness
news from the classrooms
- Junior Infants
- We had a new teacher in October. Miss Murphy did lots of art, music and drama with us. She was fun and very kind. We finished our swimming lessons, we can nearly swim now!!! We learnt some more new letters and sounds, made lots of patterns and did lots of art. The best day was the dress up for Halloween. We had a party and played peanut races. In the afternoon we had a disco with balloons in the hall.
- Senior Infants
- We were very busy this month in Senior Infants. Our theme in Aistear this month was the Post Office. We were involved in role play, we created our own post-boxes and we also wrote a postcard to our friends. We were delighted when the local postman came to visit our class! This month we were also learning about Oíche Shamhna in Gaeilge. We really enjoyed the dress up day for Halloween and had lots of fun at the Halloween disco. We finished our swimming lessons and we really did improve over the 6 weeks..
- 1st/2nd Class
- We have been very busy in 1st /2nd class in October. We painted lovely pictures for the Credit Union Competition with the theme of “Set your imagination free” They were lovely. We looked at some of Picasso’s work and made witch pictures using his ideas. We learned about the traditions of Halloween and learned new Irish words on this theme. We enjoyed the dressing up and the spooky walk on the last day. Miss Cremin organised a disco in the hall for all the classes. It was great fun and we got to dance and see all the other costumes. We are running every day. We are going to be a very fit school.
- 2ND/3rd Class Hello, October is here and with it wind and rain. We will always remember Ex Hurricane Ophelia when we had no school for two days. It would have been more fun if we had electricity! Miss O’ Connor started her teaching practice and we did lots of fun things. We did science experiments making our own tea-bags. However, we didn’t drink the tea! We did a body jive in P.E. to “Cake by the Ocean”. We danced on our own first and then we worked in pairs. We had great fun dancing. We read the story “The Flower”. We painted silhouette trees and flowers on newspaper. Its looks lovely at the back of the room. We also dipped into “Billionaire Boy” by David Walliams and “The Ghost of Canterville” especially for Hallowe’en. We all dressed up and down for The Mercy Hospital. Ms Cremin organised a “Spooky Stroll” around the yard so we could all see each other. Scary Stuff!! Happy Hallowe’en.
- 4th/5th Class We had a lovely month in 4th and 5th class this month. We drew beautiful pictures for the Credit Union Art Competition. We certainly set “Our imaginations free”. It was wonderful to look at other people’s entries to see where there imagination took them. Both our boys and girls competed in the mini 7s football competitions in Mallow. While we did not reach the final, both teams got to experience a great day out. We have also been busy designing a new school mural for the shed. Ms O Connor has organised us into groups and we have all given our ideas. We will be painting the mural in November. The day of our holidays was very exciting and we all had a disco in the hall as part of our Active Schools. The Active Schools programme has kept us very “Active” this months.
- 5th/6th Class
We had another busy month this month. The boys and the girls both competed in mini 7s football competitions in Carrigoon, Mallow. Both teams won matches but didn`t win enough to progress to the latter stages of the competition. Both teams also participated in the Duhallow Schools GAA blitzes. Both teams performed very well and won the majority of their matches.We had great fun on the day of the Halloween holidays dressing up as scary demons and ghouls..
We were very sorry to say goodbye to our great Spanish friend Lucia. She was a great addition to the class. We will stay in touch with her and hopefully she will call to see us again some time.
We have a new teacher!!! Mr O Brien is with us for 4 weeks on teaching practice from Mary Immaculate College in Limerick. We are having a great time with him, playing lots of games and learning about interesting things like WW2, Australia, The Famine and how to take tea bags.