News from Ballyhass N.S.
December was a very month in Ballyhass N.S. We said goodbye to our secretary Mary. We wish her all the best in her retirement! Click on the photo above to see a slideshow of photos.
Click on the picture above to see a slideshow of photos from November
October has been a very busy month! Click on the photo to see some pictures.
Welcome back to school!! It is great to be back in school. Click on the photo above to see a slideshow of some of the things we have been doing.
We had a very busy June with our school tours, sports day, the sixth class graduation and our flag day. We celebrated the raising of the Active School Flag, Green Flag, Safety Flag and Health Promotion Flag. Please read the 'News from the Classroom' to hear more. Click on the photograph above to see some pictures.
There was lots going on in May in school. Katie, our champion returned with a bronze European boxing medal. Please read the 'News from the Classroom' to hear more. Click on the photograph above to see some pictures.
Staff, pupils and the wider school community of Ballyhass National School are so proud of our 6th class pupil Katie O' Keeffe, who recently won an all Ireland boxing medal in the Cadet Championships.
Katie has been chosen to represent Ireland in the upcoming EUBC European Schoolgirl and Schoolboy Championships in Albena, Bulgaria! After her battle in the Cadet Championships, and a steady win Katie was called to train with the Irish squad over the last few Saturdays and received her kit for Bulgaria as can be seen in the above photographs.
Katie will be flying out on Monday the 21st of May in high hopes to secure a medal in the Europeans!
Well done Katie! We wish you every success in Bulgaria.
April was a very busy month in Ballyhass NS, read the News from the Classroom section to see what we have been up to. Click the photo above to see some pictures
March has been such a busy month in Ballyhass National School. We had an Active Schools Week the week before our Easter holidays. It was a huge success and everybody felt the benefits of all the activities we participated in. Click on the photograph above to see some pictures.
February was an exciting month in Ballyhass NS. Click on the photo above to see some more photographs.
January has been a fantastic month in school. Click on the photo above to see what has been going on.
We had a very successful Grandparents Day Service in the hall this year. The Junior and Senior Infant classes took part in the service along with their teachers, Mrs Ronayne and Mrs Buckley. Some older brothers and sisters of the infant classes came along too and took part in the prayers of the faithful. The boys and girls were delighted to see their grandparents. We sang a couple of songs for the grandparents. At the end of the service we all had some cake and buns!
Click on the picture above to see a slideshow of photos from November and December.
What a busy October we have had! Click on the picture above to see some pictures.
It is great to be back in school. Click on the photo above to see a slideshow of some of the things we have been doing.
June is always a busy month in school. We really enjoed our sport's day and school tours. Click the photo above to see a slideshow.
What an exciting time we have has this month. We attended blitzes, a swimming gala and had great fun at the May Fayre. Click the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had lots going on in Ballyhass NS over the last two months. Click on the photo above to see some pictures and don't forget to have a look at all of our news from the classrooms.
The children from 1st to 6th class had a wonderful time at Cinderella in the Edel Quinn Hall. We would like to thank the staff and students of Coláiste Treasa for inviting us to the show. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
February has been so busy in Ballyhass NS. We really enjoyed making smoothies and pancakes! We also had a visit from the author of Benjy and the Dragon. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
Although it was great to have a break at Christmas we are all delighted to be back in school this January. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
December was an exciting month in Ballyhass National School. We had a wonderful Christmas concert Straw and Order. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had a very busy year working towards our green flag. Click the photo above for more information.
November has been a great month in Ballyhass NS. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had a very busy October. Click the photo above to see some pictures.
We are delighted that our new classroom is ready. Our senior infants are really enjoying having such a wonderful room. Click here to see some photos from September.
We had a fantastic trad session with Liam O' Connor and Jackie. It was an honour to play with them. Click the photo for some pics. Click here to see some videos from the day
Our sports for all day was a great success. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
We have had a very busy few months. Click the photo to see a slideshow of what we have been up to.
Ballyhass NS Proclamation Day Ballyhass National School celebrated proclamation day on Tuesday 15th March. It was a momentous occasion for all children and adults present. The proceedings began at 11 o’ clock. The celebration involved singing, dancing, drama, art and poetry. The infant classes made Irish flags to wave for the raising of the tricolour. First and second class created a 3-D display titled ‘Dublin in the Rare Old Times’. Second and third class played an instrumental ‘The Foggy Dew’ and created portraits of the 7 signatories of the proclamation while 9 children presented an account as the signatories, Grace Gifford and Countess Markievicz. Fourth and fifth class brought to life ‘The Wayfarer’ poem by Pádraig Pearse through the medium of art and played the instrumental piece ‘Ceol Mícheala’ along with their counterparts in fifth and sixth class. Fifth and sixth class composed new proclamations for 2016. These were combined to create a new proclamation for the school with the help of the staff. Some of the children from the senior classes were involved in dancing ‘The Siege of Ennis’, a reel, solo singing, readings, recitation of ‘Mother’ by Pádraig Pearse and reading the new proclamation. Geoffrey O’ Donoghue and Donal O’ Sullivan read a poem by past pupil Colm O‘ Brien titled ‘Hibernia’. At 12 o’ clock Fr. Dorgan raised the tricolour to the beautiful singing of Amhrán na bhFiann. All of the music was kindly accompanied by Eoin O’ Sullivan on guitar. Everybody enjoyed refreshments and beautiful baking supplied by the parents after the celebration. Thanks to Janusz Trzesicki Photography for supplying many of the photographs in the slideshow. Click the photograph above to see the slideshow.
February has been such a busy month in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
As you can see from our News From the Classroom January has been such an exciting month in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
We had a very busy December in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow of some of these activities.
A great night was had by all of the community on the 20th of November to celebrate the retirement of Mrs O' Connor as principal of our school. Mrs O' Conor worked in the school for 40 years and was principal for the last 18 years. Many thanks to all who particpated on the night and to those who provided wonderful baking. Cogratulations to Mrs O' Connor. We hope you have a long and happy retirement. Click on the photo above to view more photographs
Second and third had great fun this month. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Seniors Infants enjoying art. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Junior Infants enjoying science week. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
First and second class enjoyed making rainbows. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
It was a great honour to have two members of the defense forces, Sergeant Denis McGarry and Gunner Paul Moynihan visiting us and presenting our youngest and oldest pupil with an Irish flag to celebrate the 1916 centenary. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
The children of 6th class had the great thrill of participating in the TG4 programme Cula 4 which was filmed at Ballyhass Lakes on a glorious Autumn day.
The scary Senior infants! Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Some Photographs of the Junior infants at Halloween. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Some Photographs of 1st and 2nd class enjoying Halloween. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
1st and 2nd Class have worked hard on making food pyramids. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Welcome to our new Junior Infants. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs.
The children had great fun planting in our raised beds this week. We are looking forward to seeing a wonderful splash of colour around the school. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs.
More honours for Castlemagner. Congratulations to the girls on winning the county final. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
We had a visit from the Duhallow Champions on Monday 14th of September. Great excitement all round. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
Congratulations to the children who had best attendance last year.
Congratulations to Mrs O’ Connor. Wishing her a long, happy retirement. The whole school had a wonderful celebration and Mrs O’ Connor was presented with lovely gifts and personal poems from the children. The school went from strength to strength under her care. She will be greatly missed and we hope to have more celebrations with her in the community shortly. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
Peter O’ Keeffe will be visiting the school doing golf skills with all of the children for the next six weeks. Click here to see more photos!
Children from Juniors to second class being trained in the skills of football and hurling by the local GAA. Click here to see more photos!
The First Holy Communion took place on Saturday 25th April. Twenty three Children received the Sacrament and a wonderful day was had by all. A big thank you to all the parents who helped out and to the children from 3rd to 6th who did a great job as the choir. Click here for a larger version of the photo above.
The children from 1st to 6th class play a range of instruments, many of which can be rented from the school.
Pyjamas Day in aid of Autism Awareness
news from the classrooms
- Junior Infants
It’s Christmas already! December began with a play in the church. We sang our songs and everyone clapped and said that we were great. Aistear was fun, we made a toy shop and did lots of shopping for all kinds of toys. We made clay handprint plaques and Christmas decorations as presents for our parents. We said a big goodbye to Mary, our secretary, who has always been so kind to all of us.
- Senior Infants
- We can’t believe it’s Christmas! We are so excited! We had our Christmas concert in the church. We recited our poem “Christmas Chatter” and sang our FAVOURITE song “This is Me”. Miss Arnold and our families were so proud of us. This month for Aistear we were working in Santa’s workshop. The Religion Inspector visited our class and put us on the WOW chair!
- 1st CLass
- December has been a very exciting month for all of us in 1st class. We are all so excited about Santa coming and have been behaving really well in school. We had great fun putting up our Christmas decorations around the room and also have a mini Christmas tree. We had so much fun designing and creating our own elves which we can take home on the day of the holidays. If we are very well behaved, the children have been promised that we can make hot chocolate on the last day. We can’t wait!
- 2nd Class
- December was a very busy and exciting month in Rang 2! We had our Christmas concert in the church where we sang lots of songs and we played Away in a Manger on the tinwhistle and concertina. We made Christmas tree decorations out of clay and we also made light up Christmas cards using an Led Circuit. We really enjoyed making elves and drawing rudolf also in art! We were really sad to say goodbye to Mary and we sang her a song called “Count on me”. As a reward for our excellent behaviour for the month Ms.Cremin gave us all pizza and treats and we watched ‘The Greatest Showman’!!
- 3rd Class
- We started the month on a high with our Christmas play called “Straw and Order” Everybody was fantastic and we really enjoyed performing. Paddy Tobin coached us on how to speak into a microphone and it made a big difference on the night. After the play we were very busy getting ready for Mary’s celebration. We were very sad to see Mary go but we gave her a great send off!! We sang The Little Drummer boy and played some percussion instruments !! We all wanted to play the drums !! Christmas is a lovely time of year and there was a great buzz around our class as we swopped Kris Kindle presents and Christmas cards. We hope everyone has a lovely Christmas .
- 4th/5th Class
- December is always a very exciting month to be in school. Everybody is singing and playing christmas songs. The choir sang brilliantly at the Christmas concert which was performed by 3rd class. A great night was had by all. We enjoyed doing art this month and made lovely snow globes and nativity scenes. We did lots of Christmas themed work in English and Irish also. We said goodbye to our wonderful secretary Mary in December. We held a surprise performance for her in the Halla. Each class performed for Mary. Our class played our musical instruments. Many tears were shed and we wish Mary all the best for her retirement. We are all really looking forward to Christmas and look forward 2019. Happy New Year!!
- 5th/6th Class
- December was a really exciting month in the senior class. We were very busy with the Junior Entrepreneur Project. Everyone is working together to ensure that our “Squeezables” are brilliant products that people will want to buy and get great enjoyment from. We had our Christmas concert earlier in the month. Everything went brilliantly. The 3rd class did a great job with the play and our class sang our hearts out in the choir. Our parents were very proud of us. Most of us were involved in the choir for Christmas Eve mass in Castlemagner Church. We practised every day with children from Mrs Twomeys and Mrs O'Sullivan's classes. We love singing traditional Christmas carols. We also sang these songs at Mary Sullivans retirement concert on the day of the holidays. We will all miss Mary!! We did lots of lovely Christmas art and Christmas themed work. We can't wait for Christmas!! See you in 2019.