News from Ballyhass N.S.
We had a very busy June with our school tours, sports day, the sixth class graduation and our flag day. We celebrated the raising of the Active School Flag, Green Flag, Safety Flag and Health Promotion Flag. Please read the 'News from the Classroom' to hear more. Click on the photograph above to see some pictures.
There was lots going on in May in school. Katie, our champion returned with a bronze European boxing medal. Please read the 'News from the Classroom' to hear more. Click on the photograph above to see some pictures.
Staff, pupils and the wider school community of Ballyhass National School are so proud of our 6th class pupil Katie O' Keeffe, who recently won an all Ireland boxing medal in the Cadet Championships.
Katie has been chosen to represent Ireland in the upcoming EUBC European Schoolgirl and Schoolboy Championships in Albena, Bulgaria! After her battle in the Cadet Championships, and a steady win Katie was called to train with the Irish squad over the last few Saturdays and received her kit for Bulgaria as can be seen in the above photographs.
Katie will be flying out on Monday the 21st of May in high hopes to secure a medal in the Europeans!
Well done Katie! We wish you every success in Bulgaria.
April was a very busy month in Ballyhass NS, read the News from the Classroom section to see what we have been up to. Click the photo above to see some pictures
March has been such a busy month in Ballyhass National School. We had an Active Schools Week the week before our Easter holidays. It was a huge success and everybody felt the benefits of all the activities we participated in. Click on the photograph above to see some pictures.
February was an exciting month in Ballyhass NS. Click on the photo above to see some more photographs.
January has been a fantastic month in school. Click on the photo above to see what has been going on.
We had a very successful Grandparents Day Service in the hall this year. The Junior and Senior Infant classes took part in the service along with their teachers, Mrs Ronayne and Mrs Buckley. Some older brothers and sisters of the infant classes came along too and took part in the prayers of the faithful. The boys and girls were delighted to see their grandparents. We sang a couple of songs for the grandparents. At the end of the service we all had some cake and buns!
Click on the picture above to see a slideshow of photos from November and December.
What a busy October we have had! Click on the picture above to see some pictures.
It is great to be back in school. Click on the photo above to see a slideshow of some of the things we have been doing.
June is always a busy month in school. We really enjoed our sport's day and school tours. Click the photo above to see a slideshow.
What an exciting time we have has this month. We attended blitzes, a swimming gala and had great fun at the May Fayre. Click the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had lots going on in Ballyhass NS over the last two months. Click on the photo above to see some pictures and don't forget to have a look at all of our news from the classrooms.
The children from 1st to 6th class had a wonderful time at Cinderella in the Edel Quinn Hall. We would like to thank the staff and students of Coláiste Treasa for inviting us to the show. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
February has been so busy in Ballyhass NS. We really enjoyed making smoothies and pancakes! We also had a visit from the author of Benjy and the Dragon. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
Although it was great to have a break at Christmas we are all delighted to be back in school this January. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
December was an exciting month in Ballyhass National School. We had a wonderful Christmas concert Straw and Order. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had a very busy year working towards our green flag. Click the photo above for more information.
November has been a great month in Ballyhass NS. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had a very busy October. Click the photo above to see some pictures.
We are delighted that our new classroom is ready. Our senior infants are really enjoying having such a wonderful room. Click here to see some photos from September.
We had a fantastic trad session with Liam O' Connor and Jackie. It was an honour to play with them. Click the photo for some pics. Click here to see some videos from the day
Our sports for all day was a great success. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
We have had a very busy few months. Click the photo to see a slideshow of what we have been up to.
Ballyhass NS Proclamation Day Ballyhass National School celebrated proclamation day on Tuesday 15th March. It was a momentous occasion for all children and adults present. The proceedings began at 11 o’ clock. The celebration involved singing, dancing, drama, art and poetry. The infant classes made Irish flags to wave for the raising of the tricolour. First and second class created a 3-D display titled ‘Dublin in the Rare Old Times’. Second and third class played an instrumental ‘The Foggy Dew’ and created portraits of the 7 signatories of the proclamation while 9 children presented an account as the signatories, Grace Gifford and Countess Markievicz. Fourth and fifth class brought to life ‘The Wayfarer’ poem by Pádraig Pearse through the medium of art and played the instrumental piece ‘Ceol Mícheala’ along with their counterparts in fifth and sixth class. Fifth and sixth class composed new proclamations for 2016. These were combined to create a new proclamation for the school with the help of the staff. Some of the children from the senior classes were involved in dancing ‘The Siege of Ennis’, a reel, solo singing, readings, recitation of ‘Mother’ by Pádraig Pearse and reading the new proclamation. Geoffrey O’ Donoghue and Donal O’ Sullivan read a poem by past pupil Colm O‘ Brien titled ‘Hibernia’. At 12 o’ clock Fr. Dorgan raised the tricolour to the beautiful singing of Amhrán na bhFiann. All of the music was kindly accompanied by Eoin O’ Sullivan on guitar. Everybody enjoyed refreshments and beautiful baking supplied by the parents after the celebration. Thanks to Janusz Trzesicki Photography for supplying many of the photographs in the slideshow. Click the photograph above to see the slideshow.
February has been such a busy month in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
As you can see from our News From the Classroom January has been such an exciting month in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
We had a very busy December in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow of some of these activities.
A great night was had by all of the community on the 20th of November to celebrate the retirement of Mrs O' Connor as principal of our school. Mrs O' Conor worked in the school for 40 years and was principal for the last 18 years. Many thanks to all who particpated on the night and to those who provided wonderful baking. Cogratulations to Mrs O' Connor. We hope you have a long and happy retirement. Click on the photo above to view more photographs
Second and third had great fun this month. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Seniors Infants enjoying art. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Junior Infants enjoying science week. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
First and second class enjoyed making rainbows. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
It was a great honour to have two members of the defense forces, Sergeant Denis McGarry and Gunner Paul Moynihan visiting us and presenting our youngest and oldest pupil with an Irish flag to celebrate the 1916 centenary. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
The children of 6th class had the great thrill of participating in the TG4 programme Cula 4 which was filmed at Ballyhass Lakes on a glorious Autumn day.
The scary Senior infants! Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Some Photographs of the Junior infants at Halloween. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Some Photographs of 1st and 2nd class enjoying Halloween. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
1st and 2nd Class have worked hard on making food pyramids. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Welcome to our new Junior Infants. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs.
The children had great fun planting in our raised beds this week. We are looking forward to seeing a wonderful splash of colour around the school. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs.
More honours for Castlemagner. Congratulations to the girls on winning the county final. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
We had a visit from the Duhallow Champions on Monday 14th of September. Great excitement all round. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
Congratulations to the children who had best attendance last year.
Congratulations to Mrs O’ Connor. Wishing her a long, happy retirement. The whole school had a wonderful celebration and Mrs O’ Connor was presented with lovely gifts and personal poems from the children. The school went from strength to strength under her care. She will be greatly missed and we hope to have more celebrations with her in the community shortly. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
Peter O’ Keeffe will be visiting the school doing golf skills with all of the children for the next six weeks. Click here to see more photos!
Children from Juniors to second class being trained in the skills of football and hurling by the local GAA. Click here to see more photos!
The First Holy Communion took place on Saturday 25th April. Twenty three Children received the Sacrament and a wonderful day was had by all. A big thank you to all the parents who helped out and to the children from 3rd to 6th who did a great job as the choir. Click here for a larger version of the photo above.
The children from 1st to 6th class play a range of instruments, many of which can be rented from the school.
Pyjamas Day in aid of Autism Awareness
news from the classrooms
- Junior Infants
- A busy time for Junior Infants. We did our WOW walk-3.5km and had our school tour. We wore our hi-vis jackets on the beautifully sunny day for the WOW walk. The 6th class helped us. Our local garda also directed the traffic. Horse-riding, climbing ladders and the high bounce were our favourite activities on our tour. Patsy played all kinds of fun, racing games with us. Painting hot-air balloons with cotton buds made colourful pictures. We are ready for Senior Infants!!
- Senior Infants
- We had a busy month in Senior Infants. We went on our school tour and had so much fun with our friends. We also had Sports for All Day up on the pitch and we really enjoyed those races. We also got ice cream after! In Aistear the topic for June was the ‘Travel Agents’ and also ‘At the Beach/Holidays’. We looked at the world map and picked out different countries that we had heard of before or maybe had visited before. We had great fun in the role play area and the sand area. We have worked really hard this year in Senior Infants and are looking forward to our Summer Holidays!
- 1st/2nd Class
- June has been very busy for all of us. We were represented very well at the Cork City Sports and we won a lot of prizes. Well done all.!We finished our standardised tests and we got on very well. Hard work gives good results. The weather has been great and we got out a lot to run and go for a walk around the school.Our Sports for all Day was enjoyable. We had various races which included spud and spoon, sack race, sprints , three legged race and long distance races. The next day we got ice -cream . It was a nice treat.We made sunflowers in art class. For Fathers’ Day we painted and made a lovely picture with the caption “I love you to the moon and back”. Happy Fathers’ Day to all ! The year is coming to an end and we look forward to a new year ahead. We got our new booklists and holidays are on the way.
- 2ND/3rd Class
- The month of June was a little crazy! 2nd and 3rd class boys had a hurling blitz in Carrigoon. We headed to Mallow by bus. We had a wonderful day as the sun shone and we played our hearts out. We shared our bus with St Colman’s B.N.S. Kanturk. We met some of our Kanturk friends. Mrs Twomey and June met some of their friends too!! We went on a long walk around the locality for Active Schools. We even had a Garda car behind us . Lots of us wore High Vis jackets . Did you know that you are 4 times more visible during the day when wearing one . Some of our class went to Cork city sports . They had a great day with many wins throughout the school. We also went on our school tours. 2nd class went to Carrigoon with Ms Collins. Máire , Ms Cremin and Mrs Twomey came with 3rd to Ballyhass Lakes. We had a fantastic day. We did The Leap of Faith,( with some jumping off the top!!) Team games, ( even a screaming race!), Absailing ( Mrs Twomey did it for the first time and was hooked!!) and we finished off with the Aqua Park. We laughed all day long and we were exhausted afterwards! We’d like to wish all the 6th class the best of luck next year we’ll miss them. So from all in our room we hope you all have a wonderful Summer and take care.
- 4th/5th Class
- What a busy month we have had. Cork City Sports were on in CIT on June 1st and pupils from our class performed very well along with pupils from all the other classes. It was a wonderful day and we won many trophies with the girls from the school winning the overall cup for the sprints and some of the girls in our class one a cup for coming 1st in the relay. We learned all about Tanzania this month and watched some video clips about the Serengeti. Would you believe it is bigger than Northern Ireland. We had our school tour in Ballyhass Lakes and we all really enjoyed ourselves. We were zip-lining and some brave pupils even tried the Leap of Faith. The highlight of the day was definitely the aqua park in the afternoon. It was great fun trying to get around the obstacles, climbing and flying down the slides into the lake. That’s all for this year, have a wonderful summer everyone. See ye in September!!
- 5th/6th Class
- June was yet another action packed month in the senior class. On the sports field the boys put up a great fight in the Duhallow Schools 12-a-side hurling final against Millstreet in Newmarket. They were unlucky to lose eventually by 3-9 to 3-4. Children from our class performed heroically at Cork City Sports. Boys and girls from the class brought home trophies. With the weather being so good it was with great delight that we were able to spend every breaktime up on the pitch. We had great fun!! Every afternoon we listened to great -presentations from the children in the class about topics they had chosen from History, Geography and Science. Everyone learned a lot about a whole range of subjects. The only bad thing about June is that we have to say goodbye to our great friends in 6th class. We will really miss them as they were great role models around the school. It is holiday time at last, roll on the lie-ins and freedom from homework. See you in September!!