News from Ballyhass N.S.
There was lots going on in May in school. Katie, our champion returned with a bronze European boxing medal. Please read the 'News from the Classroom' to hear more. Click on the photograph above to see some pictures.
Staff, pupils and the wider school community of Ballyhass National School are so proud of our 6th class pupil Katie O' Keeffe, who recently won an all Ireland boxing medal in the Cadet Championships.
Katie has been chosen to represent Ireland in the upcoming EUBC European Schoolgirl and Schoolboy Championships in Albena, Bulgaria! After her battle in the Cadet Championships, and a steady win Katie was called to train with the Irish squad over the last few Saturdays and received her kit for Bulgaria as can be seen in the above photographs.
Katie will be flying out on Monday the 21st of May in high hopes to secure a medal in the Europeans!
Well done Katie! We wish you every success in Bulgaria.
April was a very busy month in Ballyhass NS, read the News from the Classroom section to see what we have been up to. Click the photo above to see some pictures
March has been such a busy month in Ballyhass National School. We had an Active Schools Week the week before our Easter holidays. It was a huge success and everybody felt the benefits of all the activities we participated in. Click on the photograph above to see some pictures.
February was an exciting month in Ballyhass NS. Click on the photo above to see some more photographs.
January has been a fantastic month in school. Click on the photo above to see what has been going on.
We had a very successful Grandparents Day Service in the hall this year. The Junior and Senior Infant classes took part in the service along with their teachers, Mrs Ronayne and Mrs Buckley. Some older brothers and sisters of the infant classes came along too and took part in the prayers of the faithful. The boys and girls were delighted to see their grandparents. We sang a couple of songs for the grandparents. At the end of the service we all had some cake and buns!
Click on the picture above to see a slideshow of photos from November and December.
What a busy October we have had! Click on the picture above to see some pictures.
It is great to be back in school. Click on the photo above to see a slideshow of some of the things we have been doing.
June is always a busy month in school. We really enjoed our sport's day and school tours. Click the photo above to see a slideshow.
What an exciting time we have has this month. We attended blitzes, a swimming gala and had great fun at the May Fayre. Click the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had lots going on in Ballyhass NS over the last two months. Click on the photo above to see some pictures and don't forget to have a look at all of our news from the classrooms.
The children from 1st to 6th class had a wonderful time at Cinderella in the Edel Quinn Hall. We would like to thank the staff and students of Coláiste Treasa for inviting us to the show. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
February has been so busy in Ballyhass NS. We really enjoyed making smoothies and pancakes! We also had a visit from the author of Benjy and the Dragon. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
Although it was great to have a break at Christmas we are all delighted to be back in school this January. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
December was an exciting month in Ballyhass National School. We had a wonderful Christmas concert Straw and Order. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had a very busy year working towards our green flag. Click the photo above for more information.
November has been a great month in Ballyhass NS. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had a very busy October. Click the photo above to see some pictures.
We are delighted that our new classroom is ready. Our senior infants are really enjoying having such a wonderful room. Click here to see some photos from September.
We had a fantastic trad session with Liam O' Connor and Jackie. It was an honour to play with them. Click the photo for some pics. Click here to see some videos from the day
Our sports for all day was a great success. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
We have had a very busy few months. Click the photo to see a slideshow of what we have been up to.
Ballyhass NS Proclamation Day Ballyhass National School celebrated proclamation day on Tuesday 15th March. It was a momentous occasion for all children and adults present. The proceedings began at 11 o’ clock. The celebration involved singing, dancing, drama, art and poetry. The infant classes made Irish flags to wave for the raising of the tricolour. First and second class created a 3-D display titled ‘Dublin in the Rare Old Times’. Second and third class played an instrumental ‘The Foggy Dew’ and created portraits of the 7 signatories of the proclamation while 9 children presented an account as the signatories, Grace Gifford and Countess Markievicz. Fourth and fifth class brought to life ‘The Wayfarer’ poem by Pádraig Pearse through the medium of art and played the instrumental piece ‘Ceol Mícheala’ along with their counterparts in fifth and sixth class. Fifth and sixth class composed new proclamations for 2016. These were combined to create a new proclamation for the school with the help of the staff. Some of the children from the senior classes were involved in dancing ‘The Siege of Ennis’, a reel, solo singing, readings, recitation of ‘Mother’ by Pádraig Pearse and reading the new proclamation. Geoffrey O’ Donoghue and Donal O’ Sullivan read a poem by past pupil Colm O‘ Brien titled ‘Hibernia’. At 12 o’ clock Fr. Dorgan raised the tricolour to the beautiful singing of Amhrán na bhFiann. All of the music was kindly accompanied by Eoin O’ Sullivan on guitar. Everybody enjoyed refreshments and beautiful baking supplied by the parents after the celebration. Thanks to Janusz Trzesicki Photography for supplying many of the photographs in the slideshow. Click the photograph above to see the slideshow.
February has been such a busy month in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
As you can see from our News From the Classroom January has been such an exciting month in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
We had a very busy December in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow of some of these activities.
A great night was had by all of the community on the 20th of November to celebrate the retirement of Mrs O' Connor as principal of our school. Mrs O' Conor worked in the school for 40 years and was principal for the last 18 years. Many thanks to all who particpated on the night and to those who provided wonderful baking. Cogratulations to Mrs O' Connor. We hope you have a long and happy retirement. Click on the photo above to view more photographs
Second and third had great fun this month. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Seniors Infants enjoying art. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Junior Infants enjoying science week. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
First and second class enjoyed making rainbows. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
It was a great honour to have two members of the defense forces, Sergeant Denis McGarry and Gunner Paul Moynihan visiting us and presenting our youngest and oldest pupil with an Irish flag to celebrate the 1916 centenary. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
The children of 6th class had the great thrill of participating in the TG4 programme Cula 4 which was filmed at Ballyhass Lakes on a glorious Autumn day.
The scary Senior infants! Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Some Photographs of the Junior infants at Halloween. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Some Photographs of 1st and 2nd class enjoying Halloween. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
1st and 2nd Class have worked hard on making food pyramids. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Welcome to our new Junior Infants. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs.
The children had great fun planting in our raised beds this week. We are looking forward to seeing a wonderful splash of colour around the school. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs.
More honours for Castlemagner. Congratulations to the girls on winning the county final. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
We had a visit from the Duhallow Champions on Monday 14th of September. Great excitement all round. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
Congratulations to the children who had best attendance last year.
Congratulations to Mrs O’ Connor. Wishing her a long, happy retirement. The whole school had a wonderful celebration and Mrs O’ Connor was presented with lovely gifts and personal poems from the children. The school went from strength to strength under her care. She will be greatly missed and we hope to have more celebrations with her in the community shortly. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
Peter O’ Keeffe will be visiting the school doing golf skills with all of the children for the next six weeks. Click here to see more photos!
Children from Juniors to second class being trained in the skills of football and hurling by the local GAA. Click here to see more photos!
The First Holy Communion took place on Saturday 25th April. Twenty three Children received the Sacrament and a wonderful day was had by all. A big thank you to all the parents who helped out and to the children from 3rd to 6th who did a great job as the choir. Click here for a larger version of the photo above.
The children from 1st to 6th class play a range of instruments, many of which can be rented from the school.
Pyjamas Day in aid of Autism Awareness
news from the classrooms
- Junior Infants
- May has been another busy month. We had a wonderful May Fayre and played with our friends on the Bouncy Castles. We got our faces painted and many of us bought bracelets. There was lots of food there too. We were using the balance in maths and we got a surprise when some big objects were lighter than small objects. We use cubes and sets to help us sing our number stories. We have finished our readers but we can learn lots of new words from our library books which we read every day. Patsy is doing athletics with us now. The parachute is the best fun. The weather has been so good that we can use the big pitch. We will be in Senior Infants soon!
- Senior Infants
- We were very busy this month in Senior Infants. We took part in Literacy Stations every Tues, Wed and Thurs for the month. We read a lot of different books in that time. We really enjoyed the May Fayre. There were a lot of activities to take part in. In Maths we were learning about Length. We measured lots of different things in the classroom, even our shoes! A man from the RSA came to talk to our class about road safety. We learned a lot of information from that talk. We enjoyed athletics with Patsy up on the pitch. We are really improving with playing the tinwhistle.
- 1st/2nd Class
- May has been busy in our classroom. We painted lovely pictures for the May Fayre Art Competition . They looked lovely displayed on the walls. Some of the children in our class won prizes. We were practicing for the Cork City Sports and we really enjoyed it. We have been reading our class novel “The Camper Van” It was a good story.We did fabric pictures in our art class.We learned more about Africa in our Geography. We listened to a story about Muna who lived in a mud hut there.In History we learned about Florence Nightingale and hospitals. We are taking part in the Incredible Edibles project and a lot of children have done great work at home with the tasks. Our plants are growing well and we can see how easy it is to have our own fruit and vegetables at home. We made a nice display of sunflowers for the corridor.We are loving the good weather . Long may it last!
- 2ND/3rd Class
- Well May was another very busy month. We had lots of preparation for the May Fayre. We weeded our garden and it looked lovely on the day. The May Fayre was a great success . We all had a wonderful day running around with our friends. We wrote an acrostic poem about it afterwards. Then we had the Confirmation and we were in the choir . We sang beautifully. We did our Standardised Testing in May, and Mrs Twomey gave us yard breaks after each one. We were like wild animals set free after them !! We looked up how much sugar in cereal bars. Everyone thinks cereal bars are the healthy option but there are at least 1 or 2 spoons of sugar in them all and some have up to 4 spoons of sugar. The G.D.A for children is 6 spoons a day , for women its 6 spoons a day and for men its 9 spoons a day. We learned about the Life Cycle of a Butterfly, how it starts off as a caterpillar, then a pupa larvae and finally a beautiful butterfly. Summer is finally here and were all beaming. See you next month…...
- 4th/5th Class
- We were very busy this month in 4th/5th class. It was great to meet up with all our friends at the annual May Fayre. There was wonderful artwork on all the walls. There were also some very tasty and decorative cupcakes in the competition. Some of us won prizes!! Our 5th class were Confirmed this month and the rest of us sang in the choir. It was a very special day and it was great to have the opportunity to meet Bishop Crean. We have started doing athletics with Patsy. It is great to be outside on the pitch for this. We have also been practicing for Cork City Sports, many of us are participating in the sprints and relays. Cathal McCarthy from the RSA came to the school to talk to us about road safety. It was very informative and we learned a lot. In particular, how important it is to be wearing our safety belts in the right position.
- 5th/6th Class
May was another very busy month in the senior class. We did a lot of work in preparation for the big day on Thursday, May 17th. 45 of us got the sacrament in St. Mary’s Church, Castlemagner. Everyone did their job brilliantly on the day. Afterwards, everyone went their own way and had a lovely family celebration. We enjoyed great sporting success during the month. 13-a-side Championship in Rockchapel. They beat Boherbue by 3-10 to 2-2 on a roasting hot afternoon. The boys played some fantastic football and were worthy winners. Katie O’ Keeffe in 6th class brought great honour to the school when representing Ireland at the European Boxing Championships in Bulgaria. She brought home a bronze medal. Four of our boys are on the Irish boys volleyball team. We are delighted that the hard work the boys are putting in with spikeball is being recognised at a national level.