News from Ballyhass N.S.
Click on the picture above to see a slideshow of photos from November
October has been a very busy month! Click on the photo to see some pictures.
Welcome back to school!! It is great to be back in school. Click on the photo above to see a slideshow of some of the things we have been doing.
We had a very busy June with our school tours, sports day, the sixth class graduation and our flag day. We celebrated the raising of the Active School Flag, Green Flag, Safety Flag and Health Promotion Flag. Please read the 'News from the Classroom' to hear more. Click on the photograph above to see some pictures.
There was lots going on in May in school. Katie, our champion returned with a bronze European boxing medal. Please read the 'News from the Classroom' to hear more. Click on the photograph above to see some pictures.
Staff, pupils and the wider school community of Ballyhass National School are so proud of our 6th class pupil Katie O' Keeffe, who recently won an all Ireland boxing medal in the Cadet Championships.
Katie has been chosen to represent Ireland in the upcoming EUBC European Schoolgirl and Schoolboy Championships in Albena, Bulgaria! After her battle in the Cadet Championships, and a steady win Katie was called to train with the Irish squad over the last few Saturdays and received her kit for Bulgaria as can be seen in the above photographs.
Katie will be flying out on Monday the 21st of May in high hopes to secure a medal in the Europeans!
Well done Katie! We wish you every success in Bulgaria.
April was a very busy month in Ballyhass NS, read the News from the Classroom section to see what we have been up to. Click the photo above to see some pictures
March has been such a busy month in Ballyhass National School. We had an Active Schools Week the week before our Easter holidays. It was a huge success and everybody felt the benefits of all the activities we participated in. Click on the photograph above to see some pictures.
February was an exciting month in Ballyhass NS. Click on the photo above to see some more photographs.
January has been a fantastic month in school. Click on the photo above to see what has been going on.
We had a very successful Grandparents Day Service in the hall this year. The Junior and Senior Infant classes took part in the service along with their teachers, Mrs Ronayne and Mrs Buckley. Some older brothers and sisters of the infant classes came along too and took part in the prayers of the faithful. The boys and girls were delighted to see their grandparents. We sang a couple of songs for the grandparents. At the end of the service we all had some cake and buns!
Click on the picture above to see a slideshow of photos from November and December.
What a busy October we have had! Click on the picture above to see some pictures.
It is great to be back in school. Click on the photo above to see a slideshow of some of the things we have been doing.
June is always a busy month in school. We really enjoed our sport's day and school tours. Click the photo above to see a slideshow.
What an exciting time we have has this month. We attended blitzes, a swimming gala and had great fun at the May Fayre. Click the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had lots going on in Ballyhass NS over the last two months. Click on the photo above to see some pictures and don't forget to have a look at all of our news from the classrooms.
The children from 1st to 6th class had a wonderful time at Cinderella in the Edel Quinn Hall. We would like to thank the staff and students of Coláiste Treasa for inviting us to the show. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
February has been so busy in Ballyhass NS. We really enjoyed making smoothies and pancakes! We also had a visit from the author of Benjy and the Dragon. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
Although it was great to have a break at Christmas we are all delighted to be back in school this January. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
December was an exciting month in Ballyhass National School. We had a wonderful Christmas concert Straw and Order. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had a very busy year working towards our green flag. Click the photo above for more information.
November has been a great month in Ballyhass NS. Click on the photo above to see some pictures.
We have had a very busy October. Click the photo above to see some pictures.
We are delighted that our new classroom is ready. Our senior infants are really enjoying having such a wonderful room. Click here to see some photos from September.
We had a fantastic trad session with Liam O' Connor and Jackie. It was an honour to play with them. Click the photo for some pics. Click here to see some videos from the day
Our sports for all day was a great success. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
We have had a very busy few months. Click the photo to see a slideshow of what we have been up to.
Ballyhass NS Proclamation Day Ballyhass National School celebrated proclamation day on Tuesday 15th March. It was a momentous occasion for all children and adults present. The proceedings began at 11 o’ clock. The celebration involved singing, dancing, drama, art and poetry. The infant classes made Irish flags to wave for the raising of the tricolour. First and second class created a 3-D display titled ‘Dublin in the Rare Old Times’. Second and third class played an instrumental ‘The Foggy Dew’ and created portraits of the 7 signatories of the proclamation while 9 children presented an account as the signatories, Grace Gifford and Countess Markievicz. Fourth and fifth class brought to life ‘The Wayfarer’ poem by Pádraig Pearse through the medium of art and played the instrumental piece ‘Ceol Mícheala’ along with their counterparts in fifth and sixth class. Fifth and sixth class composed new proclamations for 2016. These were combined to create a new proclamation for the school with the help of the staff. Some of the children from the senior classes were involved in dancing ‘The Siege of Ennis’, a reel, solo singing, readings, recitation of ‘Mother’ by Pádraig Pearse and reading the new proclamation. Geoffrey O’ Donoghue and Donal O’ Sullivan read a poem by past pupil Colm O‘ Brien titled ‘Hibernia’. At 12 o’ clock Fr. Dorgan raised the tricolour to the beautiful singing of Amhrán na bhFiann. All of the music was kindly accompanied by Eoin O’ Sullivan on guitar. Everybody enjoyed refreshments and beautiful baking supplied by the parents after the celebration. Thanks to Janusz Trzesicki Photography for supplying many of the photographs in the slideshow. Click the photograph above to see the slideshow.
February has been such a busy month in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
As you can see from our News From the Classroom January has been such an exciting month in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow.
We had a very busy December in Ballyhass NS. Click the photo to see a slideshow of some of these activities.
A great night was had by all of the community on the 20th of November to celebrate the retirement of Mrs O' Connor as principal of our school. Mrs O' Conor worked in the school for 40 years and was principal for the last 18 years. Many thanks to all who particpated on the night and to those who provided wonderful baking. Cogratulations to Mrs O' Connor. We hope you have a long and happy retirement. Click on the photo above to view more photographs
Second and third had great fun this month. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Seniors Infants enjoying art. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Junior Infants enjoying science week. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
First and second class enjoyed making rainbows. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
It was a great honour to have two members of the defense forces, Sergeant Denis McGarry and Gunner Paul Moynihan visiting us and presenting our youngest and oldest pupil with an Irish flag to celebrate the 1916 centenary. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
The children of 6th class had the great thrill of participating in the TG4 programme Cula 4 which was filmed at Ballyhass Lakes on a glorious Autumn day.
The scary Senior infants! Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Some Photographs of the Junior infants at Halloween. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Some Photographs of 1st and 2nd class enjoying Halloween. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
1st and 2nd Class have worked hard on making food pyramids. Click on the photo above to view more photographs.
Welcome to our new Junior Infants. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs.
The children had great fun planting in our raised beds this week. We are looking forward to seeing a wonderful splash of colour around the school. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs.
More honours for Castlemagner. Congratulations to the girls on winning the county final. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
We had a visit from the Duhallow Champions on Monday 14th of September. Great excitement all round. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
Congratulations to the children who had best attendance last year.
Congratulations to Mrs O’ Connor. Wishing her a long, happy retirement. The whole school had a wonderful celebration and Mrs O’ Connor was presented with lovely gifts and personal poems from the children. The school went from strength to strength under her care. She will be greatly missed and we hope to have more celebrations with her in the community shortly. Click HERE or on the photo above to view more photographs of the day.
Peter O’ Keeffe will be visiting the school doing golf skills with all of the children for the next six weeks. Click here to see more photos!
Children from Juniors to second class being trained in the skills of football and hurling by the local GAA. Click here to see more photos!
The First Holy Communion took place on Saturday 25th April. Twenty three Children received the Sacrament and a wonderful day was had by all. A big thank you to all the parents who helped out and to the children from 3rd to 6th who did a great job as the choir. Click here for a larger version of the photo above.
The children from 1st to 6th class play a range of instruments, many of which can be rented from the school.
Pyjamas Day in aid of Autism Awareness
news from the classrooms
- Junior Infants
Miss Murphy was our new teacher for November. We learned lots of new things from her. Dressing up in the Restaurant was fun and we made food with márla. In Construction we made pizzas and waiters. Acting as Goldilocks and the three Bears was enjoyable and we made the bears’ home with lego. We did fun lessons on food- looking at healthy food, food that comes from Ireland and fruit printing. We also made butter. It took a surprisingly long time to shake the cream to change it into butter!
- Senior Infants
- What a busy month November has been in Senior Infants. We welcomed Miss Walsh to our classroom for 3 weeks and we did lots of fun lessons with her, we even made our own butter. For Aistear this month we were exploring the Arctic. We learned about the Shoebox Appeal and we sent off lots to parcels to boys and girls. We can’t wait for December and our Christmas concert.
- 1st CLass
- It was great to see everyone again after our mid-term break. This month we learned all about different wild animals such as lions, giraffes and hippos! We are so lucky to be acting as sheep for the upcoming school play where we will be doing the sheep shimmy. We have been busy learning the song and practicing the actions. We are all looking forward to showing it off to all the different parents. We have also had great fun learning a new song- ‘circle of friends’ from our grow in love as we are all great friends in first class. In irish we learned the different words for different parts of our body and have had great fun playing simon says as Gaeilge.
- 2nd Class
- We all had a great Midterm Break. November has been a very busy month for us in 2nd class! We really enjoyed science week, we did circuits to light up our County on a map of Ireland. We also made lava lamps- it was great fun making these!! We also loved making rice krispie buns. We looked at the work of the artist Jackson Pollock and we then created our own pieces by doing some splatter painting!We went for a walk to Ballyhass Lakes and had yummy hot chocolate when we came back to warm up. We started Literacy Powerhour stations and we are really enjoying reading new weeks each day and practising our spellings on the ipad! We are really looking forward to Christmas and the Christmas Concert.
- 3rd Class
- We all had a wonderful Hallowe’en. Mrs Twomey had big news for us We’re doing the Christmas Play !! It is called “ Straw and Order”. We had auditions for the main parts and we even rewrote some of it to make funnier!! All the Teachers were very busy with Our Parent /Teacher meetings telling our parents how wonderful we all were!! We did lots of experiments for “Science Week” . We proved that fire needs oxygen to burn, we predicted correctly which candle would quench the quickest. We made fantastic colourful volcanoes and fumigated the class with the smell of vinegar!! We also dyed tissue with food colouring, and our finger nails which were hard to clean!! We learned all about St Mary’s Church, Castlemagner.It was built from limestone quarried in Killarney. They sent the stone to Lombardstown by train and volunteers had to collect the stone and bring it to Castlemagner on a horse and butt. We didn’t know what a butt was. Now we do!! We learned all about Edel Quinn and her early death in Nairobi in Kenya.
- 4th/5th Class
- This month has been a very busy month in 4th/5th class. We learned all about Italy and enjoyed powerpoints about Venice, Rome and the leaning tower of Pisa. We have been very lucky to have Antoin give us tennis lessons on Wednesday. It has been great fun and we thoroughly enjoyed the games. We are busy practicing the songs for the school play and we are looking forward to seeing 3rd class perform Straw and Order. We packed up loads of shoeboxes to send to boys and girls that are less fortunate than we are. We are all getting excited for December and Christmas.
- 5th/6th Class